The Voice of Santa Monica High

Submit your articles & opinions to editor@gripdoctrine.com

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Anonymity

by Twisted Satire (Anonymous Submission)

I think a big issue that is hindering what this site’s potential is anonymity. Not only does this obscurity make back and forth conversations ridiculously hard to read and understand, but it also depersonalizes everything we write and do on this website. If you really want to write something, or build on an idea, or even just voice your dissent, you should have some way of identifying yourself attached, or nobody will take you seriously. If you want people to care about what you have to say, you need to back up your words with a name, a name that shows that you believe in what you write enough to risk people knowing who wrote it.

I know that perhaps you all are on an anonymity power trip. When nobody knows who is writing what, then you can do what you want, say what you want to whoever you want, and suffer no consequences whatsoever. You can deny any work that you dislike and show off any that you’re proud of. (Which shouldn’t be any of it, if you’re still posting anon.) But with no faith behind your words, they have no power. Nobody wants to read what you’re afraid to be blamed for. I’m not saying you have to identify yourself with your full name, grade, phone number, and class schedule, some people won’t even give their first name. All I’m saying is, please, stop posting anonymously if you want to be taken seriously. If you want, you can pick a pseudonym and be mysterious in your own special way. Personally, I don’t believe in forcing anybody to give identifying information on this site, but a way of sorting out the Anonymous people from the real people. If names like “Tupac” and “The Messiah” make you happy, then good for you, fire away (I use "Twisted Satire").

In summary, I have written for you, the readers, an anaphoric conclusion that sums up my basic point:

Only when we are proud of our own work will others appreciate it as well. Only when we can truly say, “Yes, I wrote this, and it kicks ass, and you know it does,” will we truly kick ass. Only when we overcome our fear of failure will we truly become successful.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best parts of this website, and being anonymous, is it gives a Voice to those who are otherwise to shy, or intimidated to share there opinion.

not everyone has the kahonas to speak up, get over it, there name doesnt change there point, if anything it just masks and skews it.

stop being so hollywood

Anonymous said...

In Twisted Satire's defense, he isn't saying you have to put your real name up. After, all I bet very few people actually know who he is on this site. However, by having the name Twisted Satire I can tell when he is responding, what his overall views are, and when im arguing with him or with maybe 5 different anonymous people.

No one is being Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

Kudos on the well written reubttal on my behalf. Where did anyone get the concept of Hollywood?

Anonymous said...

It is hollywood in the sense you need a name to associate a view with.

Why should it matter at all.

All that does is build up preconceived opionions about a person, that might skew how you interperet a point.

for the same reason that anyone who is a democrat heres something by a republican and immediately believes it is stupid.

names don't do anything productive or positive, they just mask points.

Anonymous said...

I think it's based around the idea that people are only doing this to become popular? known?

i dunno...someone can explain it to me

Anonymous said...

I don't think that makes any sense. I doubt when you see the name "Twisted Satire" you get any preconceived notions other than the fact that I disprove of anonymity. Your argument that names mask points is illogical. If you can't see someone's name without judging them, then that doesn't mean that we alls hould become anonymous just to make this publication easier for you to read. I think thats a little selfish. Perhaps if you could rid yourself of prejudices and preconceived opinions, you might have an easier time at it. Thats just my suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I'm, as is apparent by the "name" only one line up, of the "ideas are ideas" line of thinking. Simply put, a name does not do anything.

I don't believe a name should make what I'm saying any more legitimate. What's the reason to not take someone seriously if they choose to be anonymous? Because they don't have the conviction to stand by their idea? That's ridiculous. They put their idea out there. They posted it or commented on something or did whatever the hell they did to get what they were thinking to you. Why should you care who said it?

We're ALWAYS going to have preconceived notions about people. Anonymity helps us avoid this (unless of course, you're so far gone that you have preconceived notions about anonymous people... oh wait...). Upon seeing a person, you're going to judge them. This might not be a conscious judging, but you have been predisposed to many things that are going to shape your idea of them. These same notions are going to shape your idea of their ideas.

While "Twisted Satire" currently says nothing more to me than you disprove of anonymity, that is simply because the only thing I have seen you write is... well, disproving anonymity. As time goes on and you share your opinion more, I will have a more encompassing scope of your beliefs. This will greatly influence how I view your future ideas, whether I want it to or not.

To sum it up, I post anonymously to make sure you have as few preconceived notions of me as possible. I want my ideas to be seen as ideas. I want fresh, blank, open John-Locke-human-morality-esque minds to be taking in my arguments.

I appreciate work when it is good, regardless of petty pride. I can see that something "kicks ass" when it truly does "kick ass", not when someone decides their ego needs a boost. I see success when someone has succeeded, not when they blindly believe they cannot fail.

You do have one point though- All the anonymous names make it hell to communicate in any logical fashion.

-Lost in the crowd

Anonymous said...

Amen brotha, Amen

Anonymous said...

...Said the definedly named forum goer.

Anonymous said...

Anybody think about ad hominem? Don't you think that when somebody decides to disagree, they will attack the person as opposed to the idea they proposed?

Anonymous said...

I don't have much to say about preconceived notions based on names, I agree with you there. I just think that comparing it to the celebrity-based hollywood scene was a little far-fatched. I still believe that having some constancy enforces the idea that you are here to share your ideas and opinions, not just to timidly put out an idea and watch other people discuss it. And maybe you're right, maybe I am making blanket judgements towards people who post anonymously, but think of what kind of message you're sending. In a different direction: have I been conversing with the same Anonymous person this whole time?

Anonymous said...

who cares, the point is consistant

Anonymous said...

It just makes it easier for everyone if we can see who is saying what. It allows for everyone follow along in the discussions much more easily.