The Voice of Santa Monica High

Submit your articles & opinions to editor@gripdoctrine.com

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Let Them Be

Whenever I enter a restroom at our wonderful school, I am forced to question one of the main tenets of my existence: that humans are, generally, intelligent creatures. This fundamental truth is challenged with the simple question I ask myself: why do people break the locks of the stall doors?

I mean honestly, what is going through someone’s mind when they decide to break off the often double locks that are there? It’s not like it’s easy…they’re bolted to the door!

This problem also only seems to manifest itself in the SAMOHI bathrooms. In my years of excursions for Band, Soccer, and God-knows-what else, I have attempted to make an accurate survey of other High Schools’ bathrooms. I have found that they, for the most part, have locks. Ok, well, all of them have locks. Not SAMO, just in case you hadn’t noticed.

This point was driven home to me this weekend at Upland High School. Upland, otherwise known as nowhere, is the kind of place where you would think people had nothing better to do than rip locks of bathroom stalls. I mean, in Santa Monica we have the Promenade.

In my research, I spoke with many SAMOHI students. Sam Cotten, pausing for an interview before he rushed off to dinner, posited that, “well basically, what are they implying... do they WANT to accidentally walk in on guys shitting? Maybe they're gay with a [expletive] fixation.” While this is an interesting theory, I declined to investigate further due to warnings that there was a danger of coming off as a “Neo-Nazi.”

Fellow SAMOHI student Adam Stocker defended the lock-breaker-downers, saying that perhaps, “They didn’t mean to; they just accidentally broke the locks when they tried to kick down the doors.” While this explanation is temptingly simple, it begs another question: who kicks down a bathroom door? Jesus…
As my research grant draws near to evaporation, I must conclude my research. However, I pass the torch on to you. If anyone has any idea why people do this, let me know. It’s really been bugging me.

Confused & Curious,

The Grip Doctrine.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

fuck the locks, why are the bathrooms so dirty

Amelia said...

I believe the answer lies deep within the bathroom-lock breaking users. I think there must be some instinctual behavior that traces back to preschool days when there was no need for locks OR doors in bathrooms. This is just their unconscious way of returning to the safe haven of preschool in this awkward stage of maturation.

Aves said...

The girls bathroom sucks too. All of the doors are fucked, and all of the locks are broken, and there's usually no toilet paper or paper towels by the end of 1st period, and it sucks. I hate our bathrooms.

Anonymous said...

i'm very curious as to why people roll all the toilet paper onto the floor... kudos, henry.

Anonymous said...

and why there is NO SOAP

Anonymous said...

In reply to Amelia:
Or it could just be simple vandalism. Plus, aren't we at the age where we demand more privacy

Anonymous said...

I don't think they're always being re-broken; they're broken once and never repaired. All it would take would be one or two students long ago who wanted to spite the school (and as a result punished future students).

Anonymous said...

Actually, i used to think that as well, but I noticed that in many places multiple locks had been broken off the same doors.