The Voice of Santa Monica High

Submit your articles & opinions to editor@gripdoctrine.com

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bad Things. Good Things.

Why are students so vehemently opposed to the Tardy Policy?

It does it's job, and it does it well.

Why do we choose to complain?

We have more than a convenient amount of time allotted to get from class to class, and if you are so opposed to school, just stay home.

Please don't whine that it takes time away from learning; if you are so invested in your studies, you would never be late.

Fact of the matter is,

Tardies are bad.

Samo's policy has exponentially reduced the number of tardies.

As a result, the Policy is good.

If you are a good student, it will affect you maybe once a semester.

If you are a bad student... well, you deserve it.

Just being honest,

The Grip Doctrine.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yah it works, but shouldnt students be in charge if whether they want to go to class or not.

we dont need the adminstartion holding our hands. were mature

Anonymous said...

so intelligent and mature, if your not in class your sitting around doing NOTHING or tagging some stupid shit

Anonymous said...

Obviously, being fashionably late is not important to the writer. Realistically, very few classes ever start doing anything important until at least 5 minutes after the bell rings. The writer's rhetorical questions can be answered easily. Teenagers don't like to be told what to do. The tardy policiy limits the freedom to be late. Yes, kids that are late do disrupt the class upon entering, but they become even later due to disney land like lines in the teacher's cafeteria. Highschool is supposed to prepare students for college, where there are no power hungry administrators breathing down student necks. The truth is, for those that want to learn, being late is punishment enough in itself. And for those that don't want to learn, being on time is irrelevant. SAMOHI should leave discipline to the school of logical consequences. In saying bad students "deserve it", the writer blatantly reveals his/her arrogance. The tardy policy might seem less perfect to the writer if he/she withdrew his/her feces covered nose from the Administration's anus.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I have to disagree.

Under the laws of the United States, the State of California, and the city of Santa Monica, SAMOHI has to teach. Having us be on time helps SAMO teach. While SAMOHI is supposed to prepare us for college, it is supposed to prepare us for college ACADEMICALLY. If you wanna screw off and practice being "fashionably late", do it at something that isn't school. Otherwise, face the consequences of being late.

If you want to be "free" that badly, drop out. Otherwise be a responsible student.

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight.

I am arrogant and an ass kisser, because I think the Tardy Policy is effective.

Hmmm....

Good one man. Good one.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

you start by saying that the tardy policy is stupid because it makes you wait in disneyland lines and late to class, yet then you go on to say being on time is irrelevant....... so then why the fuck are you complaining about the policy if you dont care about time

Anonymous said...

We should go to class; that's what taxpayer dollars are for. But when someone is a few minutes late for a class, being rude to them and making them wait in a 20 minute line is just outright depriving them of their fundamental right to an education.

Yes, we all make a sincere effort to get there on time, but shit happens. Penalizing the people who actually want to be there, regardless of how few there are, isn't exactly helping your cause.

Anonymous said...

When shit happens, you get a red slip.

Anonymous said...

The tardy policy works. Fine, I get that. It's true, it works. The reality is that lots of students really aren't mature or responsible enough to get to class on time. So that fixes that.

However I think of myself as a "good student," and it's not like I have anywhere important to go between classes. But the odd day I have to go to the bathroom between classes on a Wednesday, or I get really caught up in finishing a class assignment, then I get forced into this huge line of other kids who are late, and I miss the first 20 so minutes of my next class. And God forbid I be a couple minutes late to school in the morning, which isn't so much my fault as my Dad's. Yeah, the tardy policy is effective, but it ends up being a huge waste of my time, when I really don't feel that I'm doing anything wrong.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the writer, but i still don't like the policy; more so because its just an extra bureaucratic step that wastes time and energy and salaries. To the comment below: how do you presume to think that the majority of SAMO students would actually go to class if given the choice...? Also it happens to be federal law that minors attending school must be in class during school hours, else the school can face heavy fines and eventual district takeover. With tightening budget restrictions and less money per students that are actually in class, SAMO Administration was practically forced to implement some sort of system, however flawed that system may be.

Anonymous said...

To continue on what "K" was saying... it is an unfortunate system, it would be better if kids would go to class on their own, but its unfortunately a necessity, and does a good job at what it has to do.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the writer that the tardy policy is a good policy in the sense that it cuts down tardies. However, I also agree with the other comments that admin. is missing the bigger picture. Highschool is supposed to prepare you for college and in college nobody's going to be holding your hand, punishing you if you're late to class. They don't even care if you don't come. And I understand admin. needs to punish the students who are often late. The thing is, admin enforced this policy because it's basically less work for them. The last policy was that you get four tardies and your teacher marks them down. Those get passed on to admin. and they give you sat. school. Why can't that go back into effect? Because admin. can't "control" that. At least with the past policy people wouldn't be more late to class...