by Ilan Ben-Meir.
So a couple weeks ago I asked everyone to look up some pictures of Baghdad, both at peace and at war, and take some time to react to them. I think I've figured out how I feel, but since the Grip is fundamentally interactive, and I don't want this debate to be solely a reaction to my ideas, I'd like someone else to kick this off. This isn't a cop-out, and I promise I'll be actively engaged in this discussion as it goes. I just think it would be cool to start with an opinion other than mine. So fire away...
If y'all think this is BS, let me know, and I'll go first. I'd rather not, though.
Peace?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm unsure the point of the article....
"...both at peace and at war"
Seems pretty obvious what you'll see, we are rebuilding right now!!!! Of course there's destruction, we have many foreigners trying to disrupt progress. What did you expect to find out?
This is like saying, look at Europe before WWII, and look at Europe during and immediately after. Sure it "looks" better before but that sure as hell doesn't tell the whole picture. Destruction everywhere after WWII...germany in utter ruins, it took time to rebuild.
Of course during and after a war things look bad, but like in Europe post WWII it took MANY years to rebuild....Unfortunately it will be the same in Iraq.
My "reaction" to your post is that we are rebuilding Iraq. It's too simplistic to say things "looked" better before liberation...better for whom?
My reaction to Megatron's comment is to wonder why fearless patriotism often sounds so defensive and angry?
Why not focus on the article or my points?
My reaction to anonymous is why does liberalism sounds so idealistic and apologetic?
What do you mean by "fearless patriotism"?
Liberals are sorry for the sorry affairs we're caught up in. Their Idealistic because they want to change this. Crazy right? Not defending anon, i think its silly to bring up that sort of blanket statement without any refernce or bearing towards the orginal thread. Just defending the liberals like a good conformist. ;)
Post a Comment