The Voice of Santa Monica High

Submit your articles & opinions to editor@gripdoctrine.com

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Racism

by The Messiah (Anonymous Submission):

I want to talk about an issue that most of us would rather not talk about: racism. But first, let’s take a real good look at ourselves.

We live in one of the most liberal cities in America. All of us have been taught to be tolerable and the importance of accepting people of all different races and backgrounds. Our fair state, California, is so far left that it is almost a waste of time to head to the voting polls because we all know, no matter what, that a democrat will be the candidate of choice (although let’s not forget about California’s blunder in electing Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, twice in a row).

When I walk across our campus, or am just hanging out with my friends, I come across an unfathomable amount of racism. This is quite startling when you consider that most students at Samohi would eagerly jump to the occasion to declare themselves indifferent to race.

Sadly, we live in an age where stereotypes are definitive. Successful comedians such as Dave Chappelle, and George Lopez, mock their own races and they are rewarded. Fans crave this brand of humor, and comedians have been showered with money for their audacity. What most people do not understand is that the “black” jokes, and “beaner” jokes, commonly found across the internet and television spectrum, are actually directed towards the people who believe in common stereotypes. This form of satire is not to be taken literally, but too many of us do regardless.

At Samohi, your typical lunch involves socializing with a group of your closest, same-race friends. Obviously there are many exceptions, but the majority of Samohi tends to affiliate with kids of the same race. This makes sense though, because why would you be friends with someone of a different race? All of the African-American kids are “ghetto,” the Mexican kids are hoodlums, the Jews are cheap, and the Asians are nerds.

I am definitely not a perfect person. As a result of 9-11, and the history of terrorism in itself, I am very much suspicious of Arabs and Middle-Easterners, and I definitely agree with racial profiling. But that is not to say that we should hold our own convictions against our fellow classmates. Throughout my three years at Samohi I have seen many improvements involving racism on our campus. After the so-called “riots” in the 2004-2005 school year, our staff has tried extremely hard to develop programs for students to meet together, and “talk” out their differences. Fighting has decreased and racial relations have improved, but there is still great work to be done.

Not only do the students of Samohi need to come together and enjoy each other for their differences, but we all need to erase some of the disgusting stereotypes we have stored in our minds. Too many of us think of blacks and Latinos as dangerous and ignorant. Too many kids joke about Jews as being irregularly thrifty and sneaky. And too many people believe that because someone is white, that person is a “cracker.” All of you that bitch to The Kronik or complain about something so meaningless as prius drivers, on this very web site, are ironically, large contributors to the racism at Samohi. Those of us who spend our time writing to these liberal rags, are supposed to be intelligent and understanding. I do not know how many times I have heard a friend or classmate of mine, postulate that Barack Obama has a good shot at winning the Democratic primary, because he has every African-American voting for him. Just as Obama said himself on 60 Minutes, do you truly think that the black community is so primitive and ignorant that they would vote for a President based on the color of his skin? Too many of us are contributing to the very ideas and stereotypes that we should detest. Yes, black jokes can be funny, and it is true that there are a lot of Asian-owned laundromats (ha ha ha, not that funny, get over it), but it is time that we take a good look at each other, and establish whether or not, we are truly tolerable and not racists ourselves.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree.

I think you are right on some levels, we do need to watch what we say, and we do need to be respectful, but I think the micro-analysis of race, and racism, is what makes it such a problem.

Why can't you call someone a cracker, or a beaner. Tell me, if you are white, does it really, honestly, offend you when someone calls you that.

We can't become race tolerant, and colorless, if we are constantly acknowledging anything and everything that has to do with race.

The day we can pass mild racial jokes without taking offensive, is the day racism has been irradicated.

Anonymous said...

exactly my point, if we ignored addressing someone based on the color of their skin, we would do away with racial barriers. Have you ever noticed that the first thing someone uses to describe a black person is, is not that they are male/female, or tall or short, but that they are black. I don't take offense when someone calls me a cracker, but it is upsetting to me, that they think i might be a bigot or a racist.

Anonymous said...

I agree with this article, it's not about whether name-calling is okay or not, it is that we need to broaden our relationships.

Anonymous said...

Okay, true. Racism is a huge factor that plays out on our school campus. People of the same race tend to hang out together, and everybody relates to each other via the stereotypes we know of. But is that really due to actual racism, or is it just that we make friends with who we see all day?

I mean, AP academic classes are so racially segregated it's scary. It's as if Brown v. Board of Ed never happened. But is that because we as people are racist?

And personally, I think comedians like George Lopez are incredible. If there's one thing I know about my Latino culture, it's that people love to make fun of each other. I can't vouch for any other group of people, but my cousins all call each other "gordo" and "flaca" like those are their natural born names. The thing is that because we're all so desensitized to the actual hurting power of these insults nobody takes offense. Maybe it's just that I'm used to people teasing each other, but it seems like comedians with race related shticks are a step forward rather than backwards. I feel like the day we can all recognize each others flaws and just laugh will be a day where racism kind of just fades away.

Because if we all really look, everybody's at least a little racist. I know I've got my own misconceptions about everybody else based on their race. But I think that most of that comes from not knowing each other. When the day comes that we actually go to an integrated school, than I'm thinking many the stereotypes and judgements you're talking about will fade out.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Preach. lol

Anonymous said...

I think that both the article and Gabrielle make very solid points. The main issue is that although people understand that jokes are only jokes, they still lead to misconceptions about a race-just like the Obama comment in the article.

It would be great if people took themselves less seriously, and just realized that the jokes are okay as long as people fully comprehend they are just jokes.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gabrielle. I've become convinced that many comedians have a point. These "hurtful" words created for the sole purpose of putting another race down are simply words. We can't make the feelings they imply go away by NOT using them, it simply builds tension around them making them all the more effective when used. If we instead used words like nigger or kike regularly, throwing them around as nicknames or light-hearted teasing, we could break down the negative conotations they hold.

Anonymous said...

the word "nigga" not nigger, is already tossed around frequently. im fine with african-americans using the word, because for them, it is a way of identifying themselves with each other. but, it is rarely okay for a non-african-american to use the word. this article i wrote was not about just about simply name-calling. It was more focused on actual stereotypes many of us hold about certain races. Although they maybe surpressed into the unconscious mind, they still influence our opinions. I am merely saying that we need to expand our horizons, and begin to really connect with people of different races or cultures.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Twisted Satire made an very intelligent, and legitimate point in this debate on racism.

Its length and originality convinced us to post it as an article.

Please view "Black?" to continue this debate, and read "Twisted Satire's" opinion.

Respectfully,

The Grip Doctrine.

Anonymous said...

totally agree with the article. we have a long way to go before we will eliminate racism and institutional racism. i think we must continue to have honest conversations with each other!