by "The Author" (Anonymous Submission).
What has happend with ASB since last year?
Well quite a lot, although not all of it has been advertised. Firstly, the new activities director Patrick Cady has risen quite to the occasion with new initiatives and reinforcing the unity of SAMOHI, will he be successful? Only time will tell but he has already undertaken several projects that seem to benefit SAMOHI as a whole rather than improving ASB directly.
In my last piece about ASB, I said ASB compromised of the socially elite. Although this may seem like a middle school topic, popularity always plays in the world of politics and ASB is no exception. However, to make themselves more accepting of all social levels, ASB has brought in more people who are socially awkward even if they don't contribute ideas. But who in their right mind would so such a thing? Shouldn't it be that the best minds get accepted, regardless to social status? No necessarily, you have to remember that no matter propaganda ASB distributes (i.e.: We are SAMO, or We run this) ASB is a government-oriented group and with government comes politics. But just like you can't be perfect, ASB leadership didn't totally f**k up. Instead, they stumbled across a senior who seems like his agenda consists of community service and senior parking (he doesn't drive himself, thus increasing his public image as a selfless politician).
Another thing that hasn't changed is the amount of useless people. What do I mean by this? Go up to any of the fifty ASB members and ask a question pertaining to the school and 98% will give you a puzzled look. I conducted this experiment with a group of my friends and asked a few questions about clubs and only two out of the fifteen we asked gave us a sufficient or any answer at all. But isn't this why we have specific positions for specific things? Not necessarily, although the people in charge should be the most knowledgeable; does that mean the rest of the organization should be in the dark? Or should they pay attention to their peers instead of looking at fifth period as a time for socialization and getting homework done.
A lot of the questions I get pertain to why not the executive board. For those whom aren't privy to ASB vocabulary, executive board, house reps and grade reps are the ONLY positions that are elected by the student body. And although I don't believe that all the positions are fulfilled by the right people, we as student voted for them and I firmly believe that in society where democracy is heavily empathized and sought after, we must support our elected leaders unless they give us a firm foundation not to support them.
Do I want to see ASB dismantled? Not a chance, because no matter how much I critique them, they alone have the ability to voice the student body. However, I wait the day where all aspects of ASB are thoroughly democratic and people are brought into ASB because of their talents and ideas instead of their friends.
Noteworthy: ASB chooses it's members with a "Leadership Steering" group. These members are not elected or designated by a teacher. Instead, three seniors and three sophomores choose among themselves three sophomores to indoctrinate into their ranks. So potential ASB members have a bigger chance of being elected by their peers if they aren't on the best terms with six complete strangers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
While I think you make very outstanding points in this article, I feel as though your opinions regarding Ilan's motives are not valid.
I think as Senior Class President, he is elected to act, and is acting, in the best interest of the senior class body. He is a representative of our wants and our wishes; so I don't think he has to drive to school everyday to validate whether his advocating is genuine or not.
I think your point about the leadership steering board is very intriguing and puzzling.
I also think the fact that they are struggling to raise money is extremely indicative of the effort they're putting forth. In a city with as much wealth as Santa Monica, and in a community as supportive and involved as the one SAMOHI is in, it is ridiculous they are always "in desperate need of money".
A year and a half ago, when I started my foundation (www.resilientyouth.org), it took me and two other students 3 months to raise $12,000; it shouldn't be that hard for a group of 40+ students, with an hour dedicated each day to the task, to raise sufficient funds for the programs and events they wish to put on.
All in all, Mr. Cady is a very respectable, well-liked man; I have all the faith in the world he can instill some change. Let's cross our fingers.
i still feel that only certain issues are being addressed. I mean, parking is an important issue, but only for students with the bucks to drive a car to school every day...
Don't be a fucktard and say "Oh it's run by the socially elite." Get some statistics on ASB's socioeconomic background to back your claim (completely doable) and ask the school to give you a list of the people who voted, then find out their backgrounds (didn't the school get voting software? I'm sure they can give you this). Make your claim a little more substantial, not the same baseless, asinine claims that the masses of the internet do just to waste some server's resources (waste them with something that's at least pseudo-productive).
Directed towards the Anonymous comment directly preceding this one:
Anonymous,
I feel your rage. I feel your anger. I admire your passion.
But please reread the articles statement before you get a hot-head. I believe "the Author", when referring to the "socially elite", was indicating that ASB members are of a specific social status/popularity at school; not socio-economic background.
I don't think the gut of this article was to attack the make-up of ASB anyways, I think he/she was trying to attack the actual practices and workings of ASB.
The Author... don't you have homework to do or something?
"Don't be a fucktard and say "Oh it's run by the socially elite." Get some statistics on ASB's socioeconomic background to back your claim (completely doable) and ask the school to give you a list of the people who voted, then find out their backgrounds (didn't the school get voting software? I'm sure they can give you this). Make your claim a little more substantial, not the same baseless, asinine claims that the masses of the internet do just to waste some server's resources (waste them with something that's at least pseudo-productive)."
You do understand that the more vulgarity you use, the less valid your claim becomes. Also, Josh already pointed out how you completely misunderstood what I meant and it kind of makes you seem...moronic. Also, the voting software used by ASB can only display demographics by grade...maybe you should calm down and think before you write because you seem like you're on the lower end of the intellect scale.
some of this i dont fully agree with
but you took the steering comittee thing straight out of my mouth
and i really really agree with alot of the things said here
and i find a lot of asb stuff unfair and biast.
Post a Comment